Job opportunities at the Gloucester County Library System are managed by the Gloucester County Human Resources Department. Openings will be posted on the Job Vacancies page of the Gloucester County Human Resources Department website at http://www.co.gloucester.nj.us/depts/h/hr/jobvac.asp. or you can view them below.
Job applications may be obtained from the Gloucester County Human Resources Department website at http://www.co.gloucester.nj.us/depts/h/hr/default.asp.
Applications must be submitted directly to the Gloucester County Human Resources Department unless noted otherwise below.
Position: Librarian 1/Library Associate – Youth Services
Location: GCLS Glassboro Branch Library
Full Time: 35 Hours per week
Compensation: $24.75 per hour minimum for Librarian 1
$19.24 per hour minimum for Library Associate
Job Application Deadline: December 5, 2022
Send cover letter and resume to: Carolyn S. Oldt, Director, Gloucester County Library System, 389 Wolfert Station Rd., Mullica Hill, NJ 08062 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Gloucester County Library System is seeking an energetic, service-oriented professional librarian or student enrolled in a library program, who is a youth-services generalist, to serve at the GCLS Glassboro Library. The successful candidate will provide high-quality programming, collection development, and information services to the community. GCLS seeks a youth services librarian with a passion for youth services and excellent customer service and communication skills.
This is a full-time (35 hours per week) position. The position will be located at the GCLS Glassboro Library, 2 Center Street, Glassboro NJ. Hours include daytime hours, at least one (1) night per week, and weekend hours. This is a NJ Civil Service position.
The position requires a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science from an ALA accredited institution. Students enrolled in an ALA accredited MLS program, who are at least half way through the program will also be considered for a Library Associate title, and are encouraged to apply. The possession of a valid license as a Professional Librarian in the State of NJ, issued by the Bureau of Teacher Certification, Thomas Edison State College is required for those with an MLS degree. A minimum of one (1) year of experience working in a public library setting is preferred. Grant writing is a plus.
Very strong customer service skills and interpersonal skills are required. The successful candidate must be a team player who is able to positively interact with coworkers and the public. Excellent communication, leadership, technical, project management and organizational skills are a must.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and implement a variety of innovative, regularly scheduled, and special event youth services programming, with a focus on STEAM, maker movement, emerging technologies and other trends in youth services.
- Have the ability to work well with people, either one-on-one or in a group setting.
- Be responsible for collection development and maintenance of branch juvenile and young adult collections to meet the needs of the community and to keep the collection current.
- Provide professional reference and reader’s advisory service.
- Provide outreach to local schools and build partnerships with the educational community.
- Be responsible for building operations when required.
- Assist customers using public computers and digital services.
- Embrace new and emerging technology through exploration and self-directed learning.
- Attend outreach events and programs as schedule allows.
- Assist the Youth Services Department with the planning, preparation, and execution of the system wide programming initiatives (Summer Reading Program, Maker’s Day, etc.).
- Maintain the Youth Services print, nonprint and program budget lines.
- Participate in professional development opportunities such as conference, seminars, committees, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have the ability to accurately perform a considerable volume of duties, and to handle multiple activities and a variety of assignments. The successful candidate will have excellent problem solving skills, with the ability to creatively resolve problems when necessary.
Experience using SirsiDynix ILS, Envisionware PC Reservation system, Evanced calendar/ meeting room reservation, and 3M self-check system is desirable. Experience in makerspace equipment such as 3D printers, virtual reality, animation studio, and other STEM related materials is also desired.
Job duties require the ability to stand for extended periods, lift up to 50 pounds, and sufficient visual discrimination to be able to read spine labels. The position may require travel between GCLS Branch libraries. A valid NJ Driver’s License is required.
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment physical and drug screening and a criminal background check.
The position requires residency in the State of New Jersey. If the successful applicant is not a New Jersey resident, he or she must become a bona fide New Jersey resident within one year. Applications from qualified residents of Gloucester County, NJ will have first consideration.
The NJ Civil Service job description for Librarian 1 is available at https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/07569.htm. This is a non-competitive title.
The NJ Civil Service job description for Library Associate is available at
https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/02288.htm. This is a non-competitive title.